We have discussed about social media marketing and how it can be used in various stages in previous classes. In order to make sure that you are able to get desired results, you will have to set goals for each and every strategy mate. One of the strategies that can be used is smart goals. SMART goals are not only helpful in your social media strategy but in all the parts of inbound marketing strategy and in life in general.
SMART is an acronym which can help in setting goals. SMART stand for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-bound. It was a marketing concept which was introduced by Peter Drucker in basics of Management.
- Specific stands for simple, sensible and significant
- Measurable stands for meaningful, motivating
- Achievable for agreed and attainable
- Relevant stands for reasonable, realistic and resourced and results-based
- Time bound stands for time-based, time limited, time/cost limited and time sensitive
Using SMART Goals
The goal should be clear to you and should be very specific. It should be something which is sensible to you and should be significant enough that you need to work to achieve it. You will need to answer questions in order to get the S right. These questions are: –
- What do you want to achieve?
- Why have you set this goal? (Reason)
- Who will be involved for achieving this?
- What is the location?
- What resources will be involved for doing this?
Your company is a social media company in Delhi. You will need to set a goal accordingly. Let’s say, your goal is to achieve the number one social media company in Delhi two years down the line with a staff of 20 and your operations would be based out of Rohini. This school is in line with your specific part.
It is also important to keep a track of how well are you doing on achieving your target. For this it is always better if the goals set by you is clearly measurable. By measurable be mean it can be measured in terms of Number of conversions, downloads, views, sharing, liking etc. You can find an answer to the measurable section by answering these questions
- How much?
- How many?
- How will you know when the target has been achieved?
Let’s consider the previous example where we were discussing about social media company in Delhi. Now we said you want to be the number one two years down the line. This would mean that you would need to measure the number of convergence of your website and your competitor best out of your location. You might track online conversion by estimating the traffic and using tools like Alexa.
- The goals set by you should be such that they should be reasonable enough to be achieved. They should neither be too high nor too low. You can get through just part answering questions like
- How realistic is the goal?
- How can it be achieved?
Let’s be example off bench social marketing company in Delhi. Given the manpower strength, capabilities time frame and the region being limited only to Delhi and not to enter India makes it look like a realistic target.
Relevancy matters. Goals set by you, should be relevant to what the company is doing. So, if your company is into inbound marketing your goals should also revolve around it and its parts. You can better understand better than goal set by you is relevant or not.
- Is it worthwhile?
- Does it match or in line with other goals?
- Is it something in which company is operating or planning to?
- Is it relevant with current scenario or can be seen from something as of today?
In the first three points, we took the example of social marketing company in Delhi. Taking the same example, we can discuss about relevancy. Since, the company is into social marketing and goal is also similar, it is in line with it and hence is relevant.
Your goals should be time limited. If you remove this criterion there would be ambiguity as to by what time you want to achieve this. Thus, time would be playing a critical role in this.
You would need to answer these questions to make sure your goals are time bound
- When do you want to achieve this goal?
- Is it a short-term goal medium-term goal or a long-term goal?
Considering the above example, we clearly defined at the time limit for the goal to be achieved in two years. We would have said that we plan to achieve this goal in 20 years then its relevance you would have decreased or if you would have said that we want to achieve this goal in one month starting from nowhere then that too would not have been possible. Thus, choosing a time duration not too long note to shop for your goal is extremely important.
Phone let me and reading more about inbound marketing strategy, you can visit our inbound marketing certification course. If you need any help or information from the best social marketing company in Delhi you can contact The Buzz Stand Team.